The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo 2020 took place this afternoon. During the event, compositions from many iconic Japanese video games were played.
These include title themes from Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
List of all songs:
- Dragon Quest (Overture: Roto’s Theme)
- Final Fantasy (Victory Fanfare)
- Tales of series (Sorey’s Theme – The Shepherd)
- Monster Hunter series (Proof of a Hero)
- Kingdom Hearts (Olympus Coliseum)
- Chrono Trigger (Frog’s Theme)
- Ace Combat (First Flight)
- Tales of series (Pomp and Majesty)
- Monster Hunter (Wind of Departure)
- Chrono Trigger (Robo’s Theme)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Star Light Zone)
- Pro Evolution Soccer (eFootball Walk-on Theme)
- Final Fantasy (Main Theme)
- Phantasy Star Universe (Guardians)
- Kingdom Hearts (Hero’s Fanfare)
- Gradius (01 Act I-1)
- Nier (Song of the Ancients)
- SaGa series (The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016)
- Soulcalibur (The Brave New Stage of History)
Many social media users share their reactions to the live song appearances. In general, for the industry, this is an insanely good sign that organizers of events of this scale have begun to take video games really seriously.