Digital Foundry continues to compare the performance of PS5 to PC in different games – next in line is Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War . The experts decided to check which video card corresponds to the level of the PS5 console in the game from Treyarch.
- Volumetric lighting quality matches low setting on PC
- Water Tessellation on PC, disabled on PS5
- Console has Motion Blur, but slightly worse than PC
- On-screen reflections on PS5 are high quality on PC, but SSR resolution, like the game itself, is lower
- Effects resolution is lower on PS5 than on PC
- Object detailing on PS5 is similar to high-level graphics on PC
- Object draw range on PS5 matches average on PC
- Normal SSAO applies on PS5, although ray-traced Ambient Occlusion can be enabled on PC
- Cold War ray tracing is not used on PS5 in all missions
- Texture quality on PS5 at ultra settings on PC
All of the above is presented in the list below. In general, the graphics settings on the PS5 are closer to the mid-high preset on the PC, although some of the options on the console are below what can be set on the computer.
For testing, DF used a mission in Turkey, when the main characters chase the plane. On PS5 in this scene, the fps dropped below 60 frames per second. The RTX 3090 did 81.2% better, the RTX 3070 did 8.6% better, and the RTX 2070 Super outperformed the PS5 by a whopping 20%. If we talk about AMD graphics cards, the RX 6800 XT performed 29.4% better than the PS5.
As a result, the experts said that the PS5’s performance is somewhere between the RTX 2070 Super and the RTX 3070. It was noted that on the PC the graphics settings are still higher than the console ones – they cannot be made below the available threshold.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is available on PC and consoles of both generations. The end of the first season of Cold War is scheduled for February 24th. According to inside information from MW2 OG, the shooter will receive 8 more remakes of multiplayer maps.