In the 354 issue of EDGE magazine, they published a large material dedicated to the continuation of the Hollow Knight metroidvania from Team Cherry. The journalists talked with the developers of the game and made up their first impressions based on the passage they saw.
- Silksong is set in the kingdom of Farlum, where the main character named Hornet gets. She’s faster and more agile than the Hollow Knight
- At the beginning of the game, the heroine character loses part of her abilities, but gains new ones in the course of the passage
Hornet has lost her full strength due to the fact that she spent too much time imprisoned in the cage that can be seen in the introduction to the game. She regains her abilities, and the Weavers – at least those of them that are still in these lands – help her.
- Farlum’s world is much more ambitious than the Kingdom of Hallownest from the original Hollow Knight. Thanks to Hornet’s abilities, she is able to move much freer than the Knight.
- Initially, this was supposed to be a DLC for the original game, but the scale of development has grown so much that the developers decided to make Silksong a separate part
- Hornet was taller, which forced the team to slightly enlarge the local caves
She runs much faster, jumps higher, she can cling to and climb ledges, and overall she has a lot of acrobatic skills. Therefore, the caves where it falls had to be larger so that the locations would take into account its growth.
Hornet is half beetle, which means that she is more material than a knight, and the world around her is more tangible. There are far fewer shining spheres and magical flashes of light, but there are much more dangerous blades and traps.
- The world has become more detailed and interactive
- In terms of complexity, they tried to make the spin-off on a level with the first Hollow Knight, but so that the game remains accessible for those who did not play the original
- The main focus of the gameplay was on the combat system, not platforming.
- Instead of amulets used by the Knight, Hornet has special emblems with a different number of slots where items can be equipped
The fringing of the interface will change with them, and they will interact with the emblems that you have equipped. Your attacks will change, healing will start working a little differently, and so on. But they have other functions as well.
- Among the tools there are traps with thorns, which the heroine used in battles with the Knight, as well as throwing knives, boomerangs and other items
- In addition to the usual quests, side quests will appear in Silksong. For their completion, you can get the second type of in-game currency
- Silksong will have an analogue of Hollow Knight caterpillars – fleas in trouble. Each of them can be helped
Team Cherry also announced that they are already working on the concept of their next game, but it will not be related to the universe of the past two. Hollow Knight: Silksong doesn’t even have an estimated release date yet. The initial release should take place on PC and Switch.