While many publications call Hades and The Last of Us 2 the games of the past year, the PC Gamer editors decided to stand out from their background. The publication named Death Stranding the best game of 2020.
According to the editors, the action / adventure game from Hideo Kojima best describes the last year. The game has even been compared to Journey, which turns from a walking simulator into a simulator of indescribable mood, but more serious and with consequences.
Death Stranding has been praised for its dark themes, gameplay, and storyline. It was also noted the indescribable sensations when Sam could successfully deliver the cargo to the top of the mountain, but there was a chance to lose everything in the nearest river.
The entire PC Gamer list is as follows:
- Best Game Support – Final Fantasy XIV
- Best Action Game – Hades
- Best roguelike – Spelunky 2
- Best Adventure Game – Paradise Killer
- Best Co-op Game – Phasmophobia
- Best Card Game – Monster Train
- Best Innovation – Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Best VR Game – Half-Life: Alyx
- Best Multiplayer Game – Valorant
- Best RPG: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Best Shooter – DOOM Eternal
- Best Strategy – Crusader Kings 3