Digital Foundry specialists have studied in detail how Cyberpunk 2077 works on a PC with different graphics settings. A guide has been compiled on which settings have the greatest impact on performance.
The game was tested in 4K, the system is based on the RTX 3090, Intel Core i9-10900K processor and 32 GB of RAM. DF noted that for weaker systems, the impact of individual settings will be comparable. Therefore, the guide gives values in percent.
Optimal PC settings without ray tracing
- Contact Shadows: On
- Improved Facial Lighting Geometry: On
- Local Shadow Mesh Quality: High
- Local Shadow Quality: High
- Cascaded Shadows Range: High
- Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Medium
- Distant Shadows Resolution: High
- Volumetric Fog Resolution: 1080p Ultra, 1440p High, 4K Medium
- Volumetric Cloud Quality: Medium
- Max Dynamic Decals: Ultra
- Screen Space Reflections Quality: Low
- Subsurface Scattering Quality: High
- Ambient Occlusion: Low
- Color Precision: Medium
- Mirror Quality: 1080p High, 1440p High, 4K Medium
- Level of Detail: High
Settings affecting performance with small gains in quality
- Screen Space Reflections (SSR) – can be set to Low and win 16% fps. On Psycho, the setting consumes the same amount of resources, but looks worse
- Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) – switching from Ultra to Low brings 8% fps
- Volumetric Clouds – Medium is the best option
- Color Precision – also better Average
Settings that have little impact on performance but impact quality
- Local Shadows
- Local shadows from objects (Local Shadow Mesh)
- Cascade Shadows
- Distant Shadows Resolution
- Contact Shadows
- Volumetric Fog – Ultra at 1080p and below, High at 1440p and Medium at 4K for optimal quality / frame rate
- Mirrors – High for 1080p and 1440p, Medium for 4K, but you can choose higher as moments with mirrors are very rare and are almost static scenes
The following visuals have almost no effect on the performance of Cyberpunk 2077, but they add certain pros or cons to the game. It all depends on personal preference.
- Film grain
- Motion blur
- Chromatic aberration
- Depth of field
Ray tracing settings
At the moment, Cyberpunk 2077 supports hardware ray tracing only on a PC with video cards NVIDIA RTX 20 th and 30 th series. There are three settings for this technology in the game.
- Lighting – It is recommended to set it to Medium or higher so that light from lanterns, lamps, signage and the sky is distributed throughout the environment in the most natural way. Setting Psycho greatly affects performance, but makes the picture more realistic
- Reflections is a demanding but very effective setting, as there are a lot of shop windows, puddles and other reflective surfaces in Night City. Experts do not recommend enabling this parameter on a weak video card. It will be enough to activate SSR, which is written about above
- Shadows – 20 fps loss, but more realistic shadows appear. DF believes that ordinary shadows do not look bad, so this parameter can be left off
The game is more demanding on the PC graphics subsystem, but with a weak CPU, the performance can be limited by the processor power. DF specialists have given in this case a list of parameters that are most demanding on the CPU level.
- Ray tracing
- Cascading shadows
- Crowd density
- Level of detail
Previously, Digital Foundry analyzed the operation of the game on previous generation consoles – the level of graphics and stability leaves much to be desired. Due to issues on PS4 and Xbox One, the user rating on Metacritic dropped to 3, and Sony began to return money.