Digital Foundry has conducted a full analysis of the new AMD graphics cards versus NVIDIA’s RTX 3000 series. On the “red” side were the RX 6800 and 6800 XT, which faced off against direct competitors like the RTX 3070 and 3080.
- The new cooling system is definitely better than the previous one – the metal case perfectly dissipates heat, and three coolers work more efficiently and quieter than the turbine
- All AMD video cards received 16 GB of GDDR6 video memory. The RTX 3070 has half the memory, and the RTX 3080 has 10 GB, but GDDR6X. In real tasks, there is practically no difference between the cards, only in DOOM Eternal in 4K the RTX 3070 model clearly lacks additional memory
- In gaming tests, the RX 6800 easily outperforms the RTX 3070 by 5-10%, but the AMD variant also costs $ 80 more. However, this is without DLSS and ray tracing
- The RX 6800 XT is comparable to the RTX 3080 – due to high frequencies and a more efficient memory access system, the AMD video card is in some points ahead of the competitor. However, in certain games (DOOM Eterrnal and Tomb Raider), Radeon lags behind GeForce by almost 10%
- When DLSS is enabled, the difference between video cards reaches 50%
- The RDNA2 die does not provide machine learning cores, but the RX 6000 and Xbox Series may have smart supersampling from Microsoft in the future
- In games with ray tracing, Radeon lags behind NVIDIA solutions, as the technology “eats” more resources from AMD video cards
- Experts believe that in the future the situation may change for the better for AMD. Ray tracing will become the universal standard for AAA gaming as even the Xbox Series S now has support for this technology.
What price for Radeon RX 6000 graphics cards?
This is one of the great surprises this year: AMD declines to NVidia the strategy that has worked so well on Intel – to offer more powerful cards, for less than the competition. We thus have a very attractive price list for performances that are on paper or even above the latest RTX from Nvidia:
- Radeon 6900 : 999 dollars
- Radeon RX 6800 XT : 649 dollars
- Radeon RX 6800 : 579 dollars
AMD is working with partners to meet demand and lower prices for the RX 6800 series in a couple of months. The graphics card shortage may persist until the second quarter of next year.