Digita specialists; Foundry was able to test the third-person shooter Gears 5 on Xbox Series X with the performance patch and other improvements already in place. The authors stated that there were no changes in the game itself.
This is just a serious graphics upgrade.
Details of the improvements:
- Improved volumetric lighting, detail and shadow quality
- Reflections improved
- Download duration decreased from 45 seconds to 8
- Added global illumination option
- Improved volumetric shading
- Higher resolution textures
- Input lag has been drastically reduced – down to about 60ms in campaign and 55ms in multiplayer
- Cutscenes are playable at 60 FPS
- Almost stable 60 FPS and 120 FPS in multiplayer (tested online with bots)
- Split screen still at 30 FPS
- Average resolution in the region of 1728-2160p depending on the scene load
According to the author of Digital Foundry, the Xbox Series S will have the same improvements, only at 1440p.
Improved Gears 5 will be available at the Xbox Series launch on November 10.